977 S. Route 83, Elmhurst, IL 60126
ICI’s goal is to give Student Interns as much exposure to the actual construction of a project as possible. Although most of our interns are predominately utilized in the field, we also look for interns interested in the estimating track. This description will focus on the Field Intern position.
The intern will be utilized in numerous facets depending upon the phase of the project. The primary responsibility of our interns is to assist the Superintendent in the safety, quality and scheduling aspects of our projects.
A summary of those areas include:
- Field Engineering provides an understanding of how the building comes together from the ground up. Field Engineers lay the groundwork for projects and coordinate the “nuts and bolts” of work on site.
- Project Management provides an understanding of both the day-to-day and long-term business and financial management associated with construction projects.
- The Acquisitions or “front end” departments include preconstruction, estimating and purchasing. All provide an understanding of how ICI develops and maintains relationships in order to acquire new opportunities.
Responsibilities will typically entail assisting the Project Superintendent in one or more of the areas below;
- Review specifications, addenda and contract documents
- Coordinate request and delivery of jobsite equipment and portable facilities
- Attend project meetings
- Assist in creating meeting minutes and verify receipt by attendees
- Work with Project Team to ensure submittal register is created and accurate
- Monitor deliveries, phase and code delivery tickets, and submit to office
- Coordinate with Project Team for review and processing of shop drawings and submittals
- Prepare Requests for Information
- Request Manpower from Field Operations Office
- Monitor and update the Project Schedule
- Maintain MSDS log and track subcontractor compliance
- Prepare Daily Work Logs
- Ensure subcontractors perform daily clean up
- Conduct weekly Safety Checklist Inspections
- Conduct Tool Box Talks with Subcontractors
- Photograph and submit weekly progress photos in accordance with company policy
- Coordinate and schedule testing services per specifications, or as required
- Attend mandatory training sessions
- Complete Safety Training assignments
- Conduct final inspection and assist with pre-project punch list prior to completion
- Request information for the Project Closeout Book from the Subcontractors
- Schedule Subcontractors to complete punch list items and ensure they are completed within three (3) calendar days
- Currently pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in engineering, architecture, construction management or a related discipline
- Previous industry internship/work experience a plus
- Must demonstrate genuine interest in the construction industry
- Solution oriented, problem solver with a “hands-on” and team-oriented attitude
- Able to work approximately 40 hours per week for a summer internship
- Success managing multiple priorities in a deadline driven environment
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and influence supervisors, peers, and external partners